[U-Boot-Users] use of aliases in device trees

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Nov 4 02:02:39 CET 2007

In some discussion on the u-boot dev list it became clear that having
aliases in the device tree might be useful as a common way to deal
with finding specific nodes that need fixing up by the firmware.
This problem also exists in the kernel bootwrappers.

The common example is how to associate a given MAC address with the
proper ethernet node.  In u-boot an explicit path is hard coded into
the u-boot build for each ethernet device.  In the bootwrapper we use
"linux,network-index = <N>" in the given ethernet node.

One common solution would be having a top level aliases like the pmac
tree's have:

aliases {
	enet0 = "...";
	enet1 = "...";
	pci0 = "...";
	pci1 = "...";
};

I wanted to see what people think of this idea and about trying to
use common names for the aliases?  If nothing else I believe we will
look at doing this on the FSL boards/parts.

- k