[U-Boot-Users] Mixing CFI and non-CFI flashs?

Michael Schwingen rincewind at discworld.dascon.de
Tue Nov 6 09:26:39 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:48:39AM +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > Okey, next version. The board-specific code may either fill out the
> > complete flash_info struct as in the previous patch, or (preferred), only
> > set info->portwidth, info->chipwidth and info->interface, in which case the
> > code will probe the flash by jedec IDs and look up a table in
> > jedec_flash.c. The table is a near copy of the table in the Linux
> > jedec_flash.c, with the removal of some unused fields.
>
> Wouldn't it be better not to remove those unused fields? This way porting of
> new devices from Linux to U-Boot would be easier.

Right. I was concerned about the size of the table - the complete table from
Linux contains *lots* of devices and may take up quite some space, so
stripping out unused fields should help a bit. If there is a consensus to
keep the fields to ease porting new parts, that is fine with me.

I think in the future we may need some ifdefs in the table to select
sub-sets of supported parts - if a board has a 29LV040, it is useful to have
support for other flash ROMS with similar layout and pinout that may be used
as alternatives, but completely different parts (eg. 29LV160) may be left
out.

cu
Michael