[U-Boot-Users] Spartan FPGA patch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 7 20:51:46 CET 2007

In message <4731ECA0.1010502 at schweigstill.de> you wrote:

> Wolfgang Denk schrieb:
> > Oops? I can't parse that. What's the difference between "signed char"
> > and "int" except the number of bits?
>
> Like mentioned before, accessing data via a (signed|unsigned|.) char *
> is independant of the processor endianess. If you want to read a

Correct. And storing the result in an "int" type is independent of the
byte order as well,if you do it right.

> bitstream which is bytewise formatted you don't want to care about
> endianess. Or do you also want some endianess string definitions?

What has this to do with what we're discussing?

> And it is even worse; on some architectures, like ARM, it is not
> allowed to do a 16/32 bit memory access on a non-aligned address,
> e.g.:

Nobody intended to do that.

> int val;
> int * p_data;

STOP!  I asked why we cannot change "val" into an "int". I never said
anything about using an "int *" to access to buffer data.

> Depending of the ARM implementation you either get a data abort or
> an "implementation depending" wrong value in val. For write access
> it is even worse because this can overwrite some memory.

This bug is your invention, not mine.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Dear Lord: I just want *one* one-armed manager so  I  never  have  to
hear "On the other hand", again.