[U-Boot-Users] What if eth_init() fails?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Nov 14 16:24:17 CET 2007

Upakul Barkakaty wrote:
> Hi all, I observed that when the Ethernet initialization fails, it is
> not properly halting the operation and exiting. On walking through the
> Networking files, I saw that the eth_init() in eth.c either returns a 0
> or 1. Now, in the NetLoop() in net.c file, from where the eth_init()
> gets called, checks the condition if (eth_init(bd) < 0) { eth_halt();
> return(-1); } which is thus never true. Thus the network operation,
> never exits gracefully, if Ethernet init fails. Any of you, have any
> clues about this??

This is a known bug.  The problem is that it's been around for so long, people
don't realize what's happening.  If you fix it, you might break something else.

I still think it should be fixed.  In fact, I was planning on submitting a patch
next month for it.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale