[U-Boot-Users] PATCHES for next Merge Window

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Tue Nov 20 18:42:42 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 07:41, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello to everybody...
>
> ...who has sumbitted new patches without waiting for the official
> opening of the new merge window.
>
> Please note that I will NOT apply any of these patches yet. And I
> recommend all custodians to wait, too.

I'm not sure exactly what you are meaning here.
To be clear, I'd like to call out two separate
functions of the custodians and their repos and
see if you (Wolfgang and others) buy it.

While you (Wolfgang) are in the "stabilizing a release"
mode, it should be the time for the custodians to be
gathering and staging their patches into a repo so
that they can be pulled when a merge window opens.
So to that end, the custodians are not waiting.

But yes, if you (Wolfgang) are not yet ready to
generally pull from custodians, or have a planned
order for that, then, yes, it does make sense for
the custodians to wait to issue "pull requests"
until you are ready for them.

> The plan is as follows:
>
> Grant Likely's patches come first, then comes the  drivers  reorgani-
> zation,  and I tend to say that's what goes into 1.3.2

Did I miss 1.3.1 already?

>  - after such a
> significant restructuring I'd rather  want  to  have  it  tested  and
> cleaned up first before adding more new stuff. Let's do a quick cycle
> for 1.3.2 (which would be also good to bring us back in sync with the
> Linux cycle).

I'd like to have the new libfdt structure in place too,
as a general goal for us is to move all the FSL boards
over to it in "the next" U-Boot release.  (For some value
of "the next", of course. :-))

Thanks,
jdl