[U-Boot-Users] PATCHES for next Merge Window

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 20 21:26:27 CET 2007

Dear Jon,

in message <1195580562.25887.9.camel at ld0161-tx32> you wrote:

> While you (Wolfgang) are in the "stabilizing a release"
> mode, it should be the time for the custodians to be
> gathering and staging their patches into a repo so
> that they can be pulled when a merge window opens.
> So to that end, the custodians are not waiting.

Normally, this is correct. But normally, patches are usually more  or
less  orthogonal,  and  stuff that touches the same area goes through
the one specific custodian who coordinates this.

This time, situation is  completely  different.  We  touch  a  pretty
fundamental  part  of the global infrastructure. Anybody who does not
wait will probably be hit hard,

> > Grant Likely's patches come first, then comes the  drivers  reorgani-
> > zation,  and I tend to say that's what goes into 1.3.2
>
> Did I miss 1.3.1 already?

No, that's just my fingers being faster than my brain. Which  doesn't
imply that they were especially fast.

> I'd like to have the new libfdt structure in place too,
> as a general goal for us is to move all the FSL boards
> over to it in "the next" U-Boot release.  (For some value
> of "the next", of course. :-))

I definitely don;t intend to delay the U-Boot development if it can be
avoided. But with the Makefile reorganization *and* the driver
restructuring we have two global changed which affect nearly
everybody.

I really think it makes sense to define some checkpoint after these
changes and verify that nothing was broken before adding many new
patches to different areas which will hide all traces.

So my idea is really to have a very  short  semi-open  merghe  window
(just  long  enough  until  Jean-Christophe has the drivers reorgani-
zation patches ready - he said that's Friday.

So assume we will have a 1.3.1-rc1 by Sunday, and 1.3.1 released by
Friday next week. Or so - if nothing goes wrong.

And then we formally open a real new merge window.

What do you think?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"...this does not mean that some of us should not want, in  a  rather
dispassionate sort of way, to put a bullet through csh's head."
                   - Larry Wall in <1992Aug6.221512.5963 at netlabs.com>