[U-Boot-Users] PHY library?

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Nov 21 16:01:56 CET 2007

David Saada wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a new PHY that needs to be handled in U-boot. Now this PHY is used in
> two differenet ports - TSEC & UCC (it's an MPC8568 board). The problem is
> that now I need to duplicate the handling of this PHY in both the TSEC and
> UCC drivers. Wouldn't it be better if U-boot had an indepedent PHY library
> (as in Linux) used by the different Ethernet drivers?
> Regards,
> David.

Absolutely. In fact, I'm working on one right now... Access methods to
PHYs are currently common (miiphybb.c and miiphyutil.c) but there's no
reason why the TSEC, UCC and other drivers should have hard wiring for
individual PHY devices. Any design suggestions you or others have are
welcome.

regards,
Ben