[U-Boot-Users] actual stxxtc board maintainer?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 26 23:25:06 CET 2007

In message <474B14C2.8030708 at ge.com> you wrote:

> Passing bd_t via the device tree is evil and should die (it probably is

Agreed.

> Passing the u-boot env via the device tree seems like a very useful
> thing to keep.  IMHO, this is a better way of accessing the u-boot

Ummm ... what would itr be good for?

> variables than fw_printenv.  The problem with this concept currently is that

In which way is that better? One significan drawback is that such
access would necessarily be read-only, while with fw_setenv you can
modify the environment.

But really, why would an additional copy be better? TO me it seems
just a waste of CPU cycles and memory footprint.

> I would propose we keep the ability to embed the env variables in the
> blob, positioning ourselves to improving (a) and (b) going forward.

I fail to see any benefit from doing that...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
                                                    - Albert Einstein