[U-Boot-Users] Problem in writing downloaded image to NAND device

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Nov 27 10:23:58 CET 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Dharmosoth Seetharam wrote:
> I have a problem in writing to NAND device.
>
> U-Boot 1.2.0 (Nov 27 2007 - 13:18:12)

Please try to upgrade to a recent version of U-Boot. 1.3.0 was released just a
few days ago. Generally it is always recommended to use the most recent
U-Boot version.

> Board - atmel
> cpu   - arm926ejs
> fs    - cramfs
> Os    - Linux, ARM based OS
>
> 64MB SDRAM and 256 MB NAND device.
>
> What i am trying to achieve is:
>   To copy the downloaded kernel image and fs image
>   to NAND device.
>
> What I have done is:
>    1) Downloaded the kernel image and fs image
>       using tftp download command at U-Boot.
>
>      *) tftp 0x22200000 kernel.img
>
>    ## Checking Image at 22200000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux 2.6.22
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    1872572 Bytes =  1.8 MB
>    Load Address: 20008000
>    Entry Point:  20008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    U-Boot>
>
>   kernel image is downloaded to SDRAM.
>
>   Now want to write this kernel image to NAND device.
>   U-Boot> nand device
>   Device 0: NAND 256MiB 3,3V 8-bit
>
>   U-Boot> nand write 0x22200000 0x0 0x200000
>   NAND write: device 0 offset 0x0, size 0x200000
>   2097152 bytes written: OK

Just try to read the image back into SDRAM and compare it to the original
version:

=> nand read 22400000 0 200000
=> cmp.b 22200000 22400000 200000

Does this match? But again it is not worth the effort to debug such a problem
in this older U-Boot version. Please upgrade. A lot changes in the NAND
driver too.

>   U-Boot> nboot 0x22200000 0
>   Magic Number : 0x0 , required : 0x27051956
>   Image Name:
>   Image Type:   Invalid CPU Invalid OS Invalid Image
> (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    0 Bytes =  0 kB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    U-Boot>
>

>  I have looked @ the code for NAND write
>
>  nand_write() --> nand_write_ecc() -->
>  nand_write_page() --> nand_write_buf() --> writeb()
>
>  in nand_write_buf() :
>
>  for (i=0; i<len; i++) {
>       writeb(buf[i], this->IO_ADDR_W);
>
> << writeb is defined as
>    (*(volatile unsigned char *)(a) = (v)) >>
>
>  As per the above for loop every character (ie.
> buf[i])
> going to written @ the address this->IO_ADDR_W (??).
>
> But, What we need is, start address and len to
> write into the NAND device.
>

> Can you please look at this and help me in this
> regard.
>
> My main goal here is to write to NAND device.
>
> I wrote my own function to write to NAND device, but
> somehow they are getting modified once the command
> finishes the execution.

Don't write "own functions". Use the existing ones and fix them if necessary.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de