[U-Boot-Users] API for serial functions

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Oct 1 12:57:21 CEST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <200710010620.50106.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:
> > > So I vote for not removing this transmitter empty check.
> >
> > i'd note that this is pretty inconsistent across different ports ...
>
> I agree with Stefan. Please don't change this. The current  implemen-
> tation (wait until trasmit has completed) is what I prefer.

np ... as for non-Blackfin ports, it isnt my code so i dont care ;)

> > so when do you return ?  after making sure the byte has moved from the
> > core to the peripheral hardware ?  after making sure the byte has started
> > to be shifted out from the peripheral onto the line ?  after making sure
> > the byte has been completed shifted onto the line ?  the current Blackfin
> > serial driver exhibits the last -- it waits until the whole byte has gone
> > through the whole process, from core through the line
>
> If that's how it was implemented, then leave it that way. It's OK.

there is plenty of code (on the Blackfin side) that was thrown together and
left that way because "it just worked" rather than being correct ... so i
dont buy the "this is how it was, so just leave it" argument

but if the behavior we want is "drain the byte completely across the line
before returning", that's easy enough

thanks :)
-mike