[U-Boot-Users] Q) Anyone know how to debug u-boot on AT91SMA9263-EK using J-Link from Segger?

Jeff Franks Jeff.Franks at uson.com
Thu Oct 4 17:11:33 CEST 2007

Andreas Schweigstill wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Leonid schrieb:
>
>> I am using BDI2000 with my at91rm9200 board - I think, you can do the
>> same for at91rm9263 unless you doesn't get JTAG on your board. I can
>> step through code, etc...
>>

> And I am using a Lauterbach ICD for such purposes without any major
> problem. I can't see a reason why there should be a problem AFTER
> reading the documentation.
>
> In my eyes it doesn't make any sense to use a tool like a JTAG debugger
> without understanding how the systems works. So if you get
> initialization scripts from someone else and don't understand them you
> also won't understand how to debug your bootloader(s). In many cases you
> won't be able to find all bugs when just stepping through the code on
> C language level. But if you understand how the processor works you
> won't need anybody else providing you with further information/files.
>
> Why do so many people think that mailing lists like this are a total
> replacement for RTFM?
>
> With best regards
> Andreas Schweigstill

Many of the docs are for a Windows Yagarto environment or using BDI2000
directly from a Linux cross-dev machine. Everything works seemlessly for the
in-the-box solution. However, there are no docs that tell how
to setup a mixed Linux/Windows development environment whereby
Windows provides the back-end remote gdb-server to the Linux
cross-development
host machine. Missing one detail like not having Zylin CDT installed in
Eclipse, or having an Insight debugger that is not compatible with the
cross-dev environment can cause havoc.

I view mailing lists as a tool to reap the collective experience for
cases that
go "outside-the-box" and are an adjunct to trying to resolve issues
after many
docs have been read and digested, which is what I did. In my case I
wanted to
find out why u-boot was failing to run after being loaded into SDRAM.
I'm finally
able to accomplish this with the tools that I have.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Franks