[U-Boot-Users] why can not make u-boot.bin smaller via cutting u-boot command?

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Oct 10 15:34:48 CEST 2007

sun wrote:
> hi,all:
>     I compiled u-boot for marvell db88f5181 board,and u-boot.bin is
> 449kb,it too big for porting.
>     I want to cut u-boot,but after i cut some u-boot commands via
> cutting *.o files under u-boot*/common/Makefile, then make u-boot, but
> u-boot.bin size still be 449kb? why?
>
>    What's the best way to cut u-boot?

If you want to cut out commands, you need to edit the u-boot
configuration file.  See the README file around line 549.
<http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=README;h=09eb76fe4528dfedca027b119ac760fce2570e35;hb=HEAD#l549>

Deleting .o files isn't going to be successful because make will simply
rebuild them.

gvb