[U-Boot-Users] embedding environment by hand

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 11 01:28:59 CEST 2007

In message <200710101918.48152.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> we're talking about the format below that ... "u-boot" is a perfectly standard
> ELF.  however, the processor itself does not understand ELF.  so at power on,
> a few pins tell the processor where to start executing ... parallel, spi,
> uart, whatever.  the processor will start fetching data from the defined
> place and load up the image into memory.

But to do so, the "image" (= u-boot.bin ?) should not need to be
touched, or why should it?

I mean, I can convert U-Boot and download it as S-RECs or as an Intel
Hex file or whatever - this changes just the format, but not the
content.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say.

> i could update BFD and define a new object format so that we could do:
> objcopy -O LDR u-boot u-boot.ldr
> but the end result would be exactly the same -- the offset into the binary
> blow "u-boot.ldr" would not correspond to the offset into the binary
> blow "u-boot.bin".

I don't understand a single word.

> > This makes no sense to me.
>
> ./tools/envcrc --binary > environment.bin
>
> and then this bin file can be given to any other tool so that it can be
> embedded as need be

Still doesn't. Sorry.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This restaurant was advertising breakfast  any  time.  So  I  ordered
french toast in the renaissance.            - Steven Wright, comedian