[U-Boot-Users] libfdt release?

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Fri Oct 12 09:16:01 CEST 2007

David Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:35:45PM -0400, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Jerry?
>> We needed the function (Detlev, IIRC).  The gratuitous name change was
>> intended to be more descriptive.  Perhaps if the correct original name
>> were used, we wouldn't have needed a gratuitous name change. ;-)
>
> Heh.
>
> Do bear in mind in future that the naming conventions in libfdt aren't
> arbitrary.  I've tried to put "offset" in the name of everything that
> returns a structure block offset as a hint to that return convention.
> Additionally it's supposed to mitigate the big libfdt gotcha - that
> offsets aren't handles, so the offset for a node can change if you
> alter another node.

I proposed the name change some time ago on this list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4639F61F.2050506%40grandegger.com&forum_name=u-boot-users

And they have been accepted and nobody complained ;-). The main reason
for the change was to make them (almost) compatible with the names used
by Linux. I think that's useful when we start using FDT for configuring
U-Boot.

Wolfgang.