[U-Boot-Users] Unexpected bahavior with Intel Strata flashes

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Mon Oct 15 09:14:10 CEST 2007

Hi,

I ran into an issue with some ugly Intel Strata J3 flashes.
The U-boot target has two of those flash chips onboard.
U-boot uses the CFI driver with CFG_FLASH_PROTECTION enabled. These ugly
flashes support setting single lock bits per sector, but only completely
clearing them for the whole chip.
With U-boot's protect command I can protect single sectors as expected.
But clearing the protection also works per sector as it can be seen
through the flinfo command. I did not expect this!

Does U-Boot unprotect the complete chip and then 're-'protect all sectors
that should be kept protected? This would make sense, but is this really
what is done?

Regards
Matthias