[U-Boot-Users] _gp in current u-boot.lds for MIPS ports

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 16 20:19:16 CEST 2007

Dear Shinya Kuribayashi,

on IRC you asked:

> In Current u-boot.lds for MIPS ports, _gp is basically equals to __got_start.
> Is this intentional, or not?
> If this is intentional for simplification, I'll take into account such original intention.
> If not, I'll take Vlad suggests because what he changes is basically right as PIC code.

I'm afraid I don't remember this any more. The code is as old as  the
very  first  MIPS  port for the Infineon INCA-IP board, back in March
2003. It is easily possible that we didn't know any better  by  then,
and everybody just copied the code without thinking since.

Speaking for myself, I'm not much of a MIPS expert and will  rely  on
your judgment. All I can do is helping to test changes on the INCA-IP
board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The management question ... is not _whether_ to build a pilot  system
and  throw  it away. You _will_ do that. The only question is whether
to plan in advance to build a throwaway, or to promise to deliver the
throwaway to customers.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"