[U-Boot-Users] MTD update?

William Juul william.juul at datarespons.no
Wed Oct 17 15:37:50 CEST 2007

On two custom designs (ARM and PPC based) we are running YAFFS on NAND
devices in U-boot and Linux.

We had problems configuring YAFFS/MTD in such a way that we could use
the same partition in both U-boot and Linux. Additionaly we could not
find support for 4KB pages in the current MTD implementation in
U-boot. We also ran into (easily fixable) problems since nand_ids.c
contained two entries with the same ID.

Thus, we upgraded the MTD files in U-boot by using the corresponding
files in Linux 2.6.22.1, which we used at the time). This was a rather
large change of u-boot source, but it solved all problems we had with
NAND. The patch touched several files in drivers/nand, include,
include/linux, include/linux/mtd and common. The patch has a total
size of >300KB.

Currently this patch is based on 1.2.0 and it will require some work
before we submit a patch:
 - base the patch on 1.3.0
  - MAKEALL ppc/arm is currently breaking for some configurations
 - some code clean-up

We do not have the resources (time/HW) to test this patch on anything
else than our two custom boards. Thus we will have to rely on help
from the community after submitting the patch..

Comments?

Best regards
William

William Juul, Senior Development Engineer
Data Respons Norge AS
Sandviksveien 26
P.O. Box 489
NO-1323 Høvik, Norway

Tel: +47 67 11 20 00    Fax: +47 67 11 20 50
Dir: +47 67 11 20 26    Mob: +47 95 79 32 53

www.datarespons.no