[U-Boot-Users] 85xx running in RAM problems

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:01:56 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07, David Hawkins <dwh at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> > On my custom 8548 board I'm getting two different results - with a BDI
> > [INIT] config, and without. With the BDI [INIT] config, I can get
> > farther by setting the DDR2 ram size to be 256MB instead of what I
> > have, 1GB. I have no other SDRAM besides DDR2.
>
> Unless you can guarantee your RAM is working fine, there's
> no point in trying to get code to run.

I figured this out - we got the different behavior via BDI [INIT] from
the TIMING_CFG_n params leftover from CDS. The values detected from
SPD weren't working at all on the first batch of memory chips we
tried. In fact, we moved to higher quality Kingston DDR2 and SPD
started working and we got the u-boot prompt! I nearly hit the ceiling
;-) . I ran mtest in u-boot and after running all day, it passed.

Thanks all,
Robert