[U-Boot-Users] I2C scanning

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Tue Oct 23 16:25:22 CEST 2007

Yasothabalan Ramaswamy-TLS,Chennai wrote:
> Thanks Ben.
>
> Can you please help how to proceed with fsl_i2c.c driver file?
> I have defined CFG_I2C_OFFSET 3D00 &
> 		   CFG_I2C2_OFFSET 3D40
> When I give command i2c dev 0 I am getting the response as
> => i2c dev 0
> Setting bus to 0
>
> But when I give command as follows, I get nothing
>
> => i2c probe
>
> Can you please help me?
>
> Regards,
> Yasotha Balan R

Have you done a register-by-register comparison of the MPC5200B's I2C
controller to verify that it's compatible with this driver? Download the
MPC8349's datasheet from Freescale's website to compare. As I mentioned
before, I have no idea if it is or not.

On the one hand, chip companies tend to re-use control blocks across
multiple product lines, but on the other, the MPC5200-based boards in
the U-boot tree use the driver in cpu/mpc5xxx. If the registers don't
match, the fsl_i2c.c driver won't work.

If the driver is compatible, make sure you have the right CONFIGs in
your header file (CONFIG_HARD_I2C, CONFIG_FSL_I2C etc.), then debug
using the best tools for the job (my preferred order: printf,
oscilloscope, BDI-2000/gdb).

If the driver isn't compatible, you can do the U-boot community a
service by updating the cpu/mpc5xxx/i2c.c driver to handle multiple buses.

regards,
Ben