[U-Boot-Users] Atmel flash block protection

tike64 tike64 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 12:18:01 CEST 2007

Dear List,

Atmel flash has an useful feature with which you can protect blocks and will be never again able to write or erase them before next reset. I think this could be used to protect u-boot blocks from application messing up them. But I have a couple of puzzles in figuring out how to use this feature.

If I enabled CFG_FLASH_PROTECTION and implemented flash_real_protect function, then u-boot would
protect the u-boot blocks on powerup and it would be impossible to unprotect them afterwards to update u-boot itself.

How I'd like the protection to work in this case is that u-boot would use only software protection to the point where application is started. Just before jumping into the application or kernel the u-boot would hardware-protect the software-protected blocks. The downside is that implementing this idea would need touching cmd_boot and cmd_bootm code. Would patches be accepted?

Any other ideas?

--

Timo