[U-Boot-Users] Debugging 85xx eTSEC's

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:27:45 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Using u-boot from the latest git, I'm trying to debug our phy's on our
custom 8548 board. Our eTSEC0 / eTSEC1 are mavell 88E1121 and eTSEC2 /
eTSEC3 are 88E1111 - I'm trying to debug eTSEC2 since the 88E1111
seems to be supported by u-boot. I get this output from the serial
port in debug mode:

eTSEC1 is in sgmii mode.
eTSEC2 is in sgmii mode.
eTSEC3 is in sgmii mode.
eTSEC4 is in sgmii mode.

Net:   eTSEC0: PHY is Unknown/Generic PHY (ffffffff)
eTSEC1: PHY is Unknown/Generic PHY (ffffffff)
eTSEC2: PHY is Unknown/Generic PHY (ffffffff)
eTSEC3: PHY is Unknown/Generic PHY (ffffffff)
eTSEC0, eTSEC1, eTSEC2, eTSEC3

Where 'is in sgmii mode' comes from standard 85xx stuff: I can't ping
when setting ethact to be eTSEC2, and I get this when running 'mii
info'  :

=> mii info
PHY_PHYIDR2 @ 0x0 = 0xffff
PHY_PHYIDR2 @ 0x1 = 0xffff
PHY_PHYIDR2 @ 0x2 = 0xffff
PHY_PHYIDR2 @ 0x3 = 0xffff
Can't read PHY at address 4

My defines are:

#if defined(CONFIG_TSEC_ENET)

#ifndef CONFIG_NET_MULTI
#define CONFIG_NET_MULTI        1
#endif

#define CONFIG_MII              1       /* MII PHY management */
#define CONFIG_TSEC1    1
#define CONFIG_TSEC1_NAME       "eTSEC0"
#define CONFIG_TSEC2    1
#define CONFIG_TSEC2_NAME       "eTSEC1"
#define CONFIG_TSEC3    1
#define CONFIG_TSEC3_NAME       "eTSEC2"
#define CONFIG_TSEC4    1
#define CONFIG_TSEC4_NAME       "eTSEC3"
#undef CONFIG_MPC85XX_FEC

#define TSEC1_PHY_ADDR          0
#define TSEC2_PHY_ADDR          1
#define TSEC3_PHY_ADDR          2
#define TSEC4_PHY_ADDR          3

#define TSEC1_PHYIDX            0
#define TSEC2_PHYIDX            0
#define TSEC3_PHYIDX            0
#define TSEC4_PHYIDX            0
#define TSEC1_FLAGS             TSEC_GIGABIT
#define TSEC2_FLAGS             TSEC_GIGABIT
#define TSEC3_FLAGS             TSEC_GIGABIT
#define TSEC4_FLAGS             TSEC_GIGABIT

/* Options are: eTSEC[0-3] */
#define CONFIG_ETHPRIME         "eTSEC0"
#define CONFIG_PHY_GIGE         1       /* Include GbE speed/duplex detection */
#endif  /* CONFIG_TSEC_ENET */

Any ideas?
Robert