[U-Boot-Users] u-boot cp command for at91rm9200

Ramasamy C thedavinci at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 22:02:54 CEST 2007

Paul Thomas-12 wrote:

> I can't seem to get the CP command to work at all. I want to test it by
> doing a simple SDRAM copy. I know the SDRAM works and I know where it is
> because I can use tftp to load a kernel image, and then boot the kernel
> from
> RAM. I am using the linuxstamp <http://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp> which
> is
> based on atmel's at91rm9200. The main version I have been using is a
> patched
> version of 1.1.6. I have also tried 1.3.0-rc3. Both versions have the same
> result. If I do
>> tftpboot 20100000 uImage
> This works. If I do
>> md 20000000
> or
>> md 20001000
> It works, but if I do
>> cp 20000000 20001000 256
> I get the error
> "Copy to Flash... General Flash Programming Error"
> Why does it think this is a flash operation? I am using RAM addresses. If
> do
>> protect off all
> It doesn't change anything
>
> I feel like I don't understand something important about how CP works.
> Please help.
>
> thanks,
> Paul
>

>From your board definitions if i understand, the CFG_FLASH_BASE is at
0x10000000 for 2 Megs. Please check with "flinfo" command to see if the
sectors are listed out correctly. The problem seems to be that the address
20001000 in "cp" command is detected in the flash region. In case if it is
in the RAM region, it should be copied.

Moreover, direct tftp to flash region is possible. So, we cannot conclude
from tftp that the address is in RAM region.

Ramasamy C