[U-Boot-Users] Bug in malloc()?

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Mon Oct 29 21:45:12 CET 2007

[mailto:u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Timur
Tabi
> Sent: 26 October 2007 23:40
> To: Rune Torgersen
> Cc: Grant Likely; u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net; Jerry Van Baren
> Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] Bug in malloc()?
>
> Rune Torgersen wrote:
>
> > I tried 8280 with gcc 4.1.2, and it gets an machine check exception
at
> > the point where it does the environment malloc.
>
> Yes, I saw that too with sometimes with the 83xx tree.  Sometimes it
machine checks, sometimes it goes in an infinite loop.

This looks like the same issue I'm seeing trying to update my MPC834x
based system to u-boot-1.3.0-rcx. Under a BDI2000 it seems that several
of the malloc related pointers have addresses in flash, while in my
older u-boot version they are correctly pointing to addresses in RAM.

>From this thread, it seems that three fixes have been recommended:

1) Disable "CONFIG_RELOC_FIXUP_WORKS" in the CPU header files
2) Backout some changes which affect the fixup operations (?)
3) Migrate to a newer compiler version

Which of these three options is the best to take, or has this thread not
yet reached that conclusion?

Thanks

Michael