[U-Boot-Users] TI DaVinci Initial Bootloader, tar.gz

ksi at koi8.net ksi at koi8.net
Mon Sep 3 08:32:11 CEST 2007

Here it is...

I'm not sure it belongs here but I think it would be right thing to include
initial bootloaders for platforms that require them into U-Boot tree. It
might be subtrees under board directories, a separate boot/ or something off
the main tree or anything else.

The reason is simple -- U-Boot is supposed to be the first program that runs
on a system, kinda like pee-see BIOS or something, but some platforms
require even lower level program, bootloader, to either load U-Boot upon
startup or to write it in system ROM. If we had those in the U-Boot tree we
would've had everything required to bringup a virgin board in one place.

I personally don't see any other place for those small programs to go. We do
have U-Boot for a lot of absolutely different platforms in the same tree so
one doesn't have to search for a particular port at obscure places and I
feel that adding initial bootloaders would make it even better.

What do you think guys?

As for the actual DaVinci bootloader, it is in attached tar.gz. It is not
polished, ugly at places but it works and it doesn't require any Windoze,
sorry for an expression, "servers" or proprietary tools. It works with both
small and large page NAND.

There is a rather brief readme inside the archive that explains what it is,
how to run it and documents formats.

Any comments are welcome.

---
*  KSI at home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *