[U-Boot-Users] ARM cleanup - was: [GIT PULL] [ARM] Please pullfromgit://denx.de/git/u-boot-arm.git

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Tue Sep 4 13:15:42 CEST 2007

> Dear Ulf,

>> This is definitely not the code which causes the board to reset.
>> It is the code start up the MCU.
>
> You are right. I got confues by the name of this function -  for  me,
> it  seems obvious that a function with the name "reset" contains code
> that implements (parts of) the command "reset" which you can call  on
> the  command  line.  My  confusion  was supported by the comment that
> reads "the actual reset code".
>
> May I ask to change the name of this function, as it does not perform
> a "reset", but some initialization after the processor started  (from
> a reset or power-on condition)?

I think that if you looked at all code for embedded micros
then "reset" is likely to be the most common name for the first entry point after reset.

For the AT91 booting from dataflash, it is not appropriate, since
the CPU has already been running the bootROM and the dataflashboot
when it reaches this point.

"u_boot_entry" or just "u_boot" would be a good label.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson