[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Configuration rework for next merge window

Kim Phillips kim.phillips at freescale.com
Tue Sep 11 21:07:38 CEST 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:49:04 -0600
"Grant Likely" <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:

> 1. Merge the COBJS split into -testing now, and ask custodians to base
> there changes onto that before the merge window opens

I agree with this one (#1).

I'd add that -testing get dropped in favour of a new branch on the
mainline tree called 'for-1.3.1' or 'for-1.4.0' (or whatever version
number WD deems appropriate (it doesn't matter anyway, it can easily be
renamed)). The -testing tree is not in the mainline tree, and therefore
further off people's radars, and people's perception of its name
usually doesn't match its purpose, e.g. tagging an rc- is more likely to
be interpreted as a 'test me now' signal.

And people would more likely to understand that new features go on the
for-x.y.z branch - I'd personally be more encouraged to develop some
given the presence of such a branch.

It would be smart for custodians to follow suit, and maintain two
branches each, applying bugfixes to both, with new features only going
into one.

Kim