[U-Boot-Users] minimum bdi config to read flash on 85xx

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Sep 12 20:13:27 CEST 2007

David Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Robert,

[snip]

> 1. Confirm that accesses to the addresses you believe the
>     Flash are located generate CE# and OE#
>
>     (I'm sure you did this, but you didn't re-state it)

David missed three steps here:
   2. Read the flash data sheets, especially the command interface
   3. ReRead the flash data sheets, especially the command interface
   4. ReReRead the flash data sheets, especially the command interface

Robert's statement "Maybe some CFI standard thing?" betrays him.

If you (Robert) don't understand what those 0x55 and 0xAA magic numbers
are, and especially if you don't understand how your hardware is wired
up (one chip, two chips, four chips, 8x wide, 16x wide, 32x wide - note
this is a lot of possible combinations), any success will be pure luck.

> 5. Use memory commands to read the manufacturer ID
>
> 6. Use memory commands to write a word
>
> 7. Use memory commands to erase that sector
>
> 8. Repeat ****2****
>
> 9. Use memory commands to erase the chip
>
> Then try the software equivalents.
> Then try programming U-boot.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave