[U-Boot-Users] Ensuring correctness of U-boot in the flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 18 21:04:05 CEST 2007

In message <12751790.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> > The environment is a convenient place,  unless  your  environment  is
> > embedded within U-Boot, in which case you need to split this up
> > anyway.
>
> Won't work in our case I'm afraid. First, we would like the booted
> application to be able to check the CRC after upgrading U-boot, which means
> that it will need to know the environment structure (something that is also
> problematic legally, as some of our applications are non GPL). Second, our

I don't understand why this should be a problem. Reading the
environment can be done by separate tools lile fw_printenv (see
tools/env/).

> master plan is to have two copies of U-boot programmed on the flash (for
> field upgrades sake), with a mutual environment sector.

So  you  have  some  primary  bootstrap  loader  which  performs  the
selection  and  switching? Well, sounds overly complicated to me, but
it's your choice.

> I guess the only way to implement this meeting our requirements is to
> sacrifice an adjacent sector that will only hold the CRC.

Why don't you enable the MD5 checksum feature then? It uses an
embedded (in the image) MD5 checksum.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To know how another being, another creature feels -  that  is  impos-
sible.                  - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_