[U-Boot-Users] RFC on davinci Nand support changes

ksi at koi8.net ksi at koi8.net
Thu Sep 27 01:11:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.64ksi.0709261459210.20962 at home-gw.koi8.net> you
> wrote:
>>
>> You can NOT use ATA and NAND/NOR together in DaVinci. There is also
>> absolutely no reason to add a NOR Flash to a board that already has
> NAND.
>
> In that general form that statement is incorrect. I can imagine *many*
> reasons to use NOR flash on a board that also has NAND.

OK, let's make it "to a _DaVinci_ board that already has NAND." :)) DaVinci
boots off of NAND just fine so NOR is not necessary for bootup and it does
really work unlike e.g. AT91SAM9260 where it is claimed to and supposed to
but won't due to silicon errata that sets wrong timings for NAND on boot
thus requiring some other ROM (NOR, Dataflash) to boot. And once it booted
NAND gives much more capacity for less. Yes, one can not XIP from NAND but
it is hardly a requirement for a DDR2-equipped system with 600Mhz clock.

As for general form, yes, it is overstatement...

---