[U-Boot-Users] "huge" (6 second) delay when booting linux kernel (coldfire)

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Fri Apr 4 10:02:40 CEST 2008

On 4 Apr 2008 at 8:36, w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 4 Apr 2008 at 8:13, w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem on startup on my Coldfire MCF5373L board.
> >
> > When the flash is empty, something before booting the linux kernel
> > takes too long such that the watchdog resets my board before there
> > is a chance for the kernel to take over control.
>
> with some more puts() I found there is around 4 second delay in this
> line of do_bootm_linux() in lib_m68k/m68k_linux.c:
>
> 	cmd_end = cmd_start + strlen(cmdline);

Found the problem.

It was a wrong CFG_BOOTMAPSZ, seems to have been a relic
from my very first try in porting to MCF53xx. With the correct line:

#define CFG_BOOTMAPSZ		(CFG_SDRAM_BASE + (CFG_SDRAM_SIZE << 20))

Booting works fast as it should. (This new CFG_BOOTMAPSZ came
from M5329EVB.h).

Regards,
Wolfgang