[U-Boot-Users] I2C @ MPC8343

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Thu Apr 10 14:27:54 CEST 2008

Ben,

I'm a little confused right now and need to have a closer look.

The EEPRM is a M24C64 from ST with extended adressing modes. There might
be something going wrong during probe or initial adressing.

I'll post as soon as there are more useful results ...

thanks,
Andre

Ben Warren schrieb:
> Hi Andre,
>
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Andre Schwarz
> <andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>>  in my current system the I2C bus is not working properly on a MPC8343 in
>>  u-boot v1.3.2.
>>
>>  i2c board config includes :
>>
>>  #define CONFIG_HARD_I2C
>>  #undef CONFIG_SOFT_I2C
>>  #define CONFIG_FSL_I2C
>>  #define CONFIG_I2C_MULTI_BUS
>>  #define CONFIG_I2C_CMD_TREE
>>  #define CFG_I2C_OFFSET          0x3000
>>  #define CFG_I2C2_OFFSET         0x3100
>>  #define CFG_I2C_SPEED           100000
>>  #define CFG_I2C_SLAVE           0x7F
>>

>>  chip probing works fine.
>>
>>  mvBL-M7> i2c probe
>>  Valid chip addresses: 30 48 50 68
>>
>>  reading the Chips gives all "ff"
>>
>>  mvBL-M7> i2c md 50 0 10
>>  0000: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
>>

>>  Observing the I2C bus wires show that everything _works excellent_ :
>>  100kHz speed as well as all data seems ok - but u-boot shows "ff".
>>

> The fact that probing works and your scope shows bits toggling leads
> me to believe that your command syntax is the problem.
> Please try something like: "i2c md 50.1 0 10".  I2C syntax is a bit
> goofy - you often have to specify the bus width.  I've used 1.3.2
> successfully on an MPC8349 (same as yours) with and without Timur's
> speed patches.
>
> regards,
> Ben

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner