[U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] Please pull u-boot-arm (fwd)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 11 12:45:54 CEST 2008

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:13:46 +0200
From:    Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>
To:      "Peter Pearse" <peter.pearse at arm.com>
cc:      lg at denx.de
Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] [GIT PULL] Please pull u-boot-arm

Dear Peter,

in message <000001c89bb0$89dfe400$3a4d010a at Emea.Arm.com> you wrote:

> > None of Guennadis messages on the mailing list  ever  used
> > something like "[lg at denx.de]" - this must be something that
> > happend on your end when  processing  his  patches.  Where
> > are the brackets coming from?
> > Don't you use git-am to apply the patches?
>
> I find I have to manually edit the mails I get from my (company mandated)
> mail client.
>
> My process is
>
> a) Save mail
> b) Manually edit to remove extraneous/incorrect data and formatting
> c) Run mail thru <linux kernel>/scripts/checkpatch.pl until acceptable
> d) Run git-am, correcting the patch until applies without output other than
> re
> whitespace.

This sounds terribly inefficient to  me.  Can't  you  use  any  other
(free)  email  acoount  for  the  U-Boot work which doesn't have such
restrictions?

> On the code my patch corrections e.g. for line length
> might differ from those applied by someone else.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. You mean, you modify the
code before you check it in?

You must not do this. A patch that was submitted on the mailing  list
and  sigend  off  by  the  author has to be checked in as is, without
modifications of the code. If you feel that cleanup  is  needed,  you
either  have  to  reject  the patch and ask the author the resubmit a
new, cleaned up version, or you have to fix the code in a second step
which then results in a new commit showing you as the author  of  the
changes.

But one must not, under no circumstances, modify the code first,  and
then  check  in  the  modified  code under the original author's name
without any indication that the code was modified by somebody else.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but  if  iti  s,  then  please
never do that again. It's a strict NO.

> I'm looking at Manus's mail to see where we differ...

Yes, please.

Thanks in advance.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
They're usually so busy thinking about what  happens  next  that  the
only  time they ever find out what is happening now is when they come
to look back on it.                 - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_

------- End of Forwarded Message