[U-Boot-Users] drivers MMCplus for at91sam9x

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Tue Apr 15 18:51:18 CEST 2008

Pierre Savary wrote:

> Then my MMC 4GB works with my Linux kernel but if I can't
> load my kernel
> (located on the first part of this MMC) ... it's not really
> interesting :(

> So, somebody does already use MMC v4 with U-boot???

Assuming a AT91SAM926x MCI controller:

Probably.  Given an MMC v2.x compliant U-Boot driver, it
would be relatively easy to add support for an MMC v4.x chip.
If there is an MMC v4.x compliant Linux driver, it could be
ported to U-Boot (Many, if not most, U-Boot drivers are ports
from the corresponding Linux driver.)  Alternatively, if both
an MMC v2.x compliant U-Boot driver and MMC v4.x compliant Linux
driver exist, the port would be trivial; just copy the MMC v4.x
Linux code into the corresponding places in the MMC v2.2 U-Boot
driver until it supports your MMC v4.x chip.

Such an MMC v4.x U-Boot AT91SAM926x MCI driver should be able to
support any v4.x MMC chip, at least via a one bit MMC bus.  (I
remain unconvinced that the AT91SAM926x MCI controller can support
a 4 bit MMC bus; only a working MCI driver using a 4 bit MMC bus
verified by a logic analyzer or similar compliance/debugging device
would be convincing enough.)

If the Linux AT91SAM926x MCI driver supports a 4 bit MMC bus, then
the U-Boot AT91SAM926x MCI driver can borrow the Linux driver's
code and support a 4 bit bus also.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs

.sun.com/javao