[U-Boot-Users] MTD Concat support

Luigi 'Comio' Mantellini luigi.mantellini at idf-hit.com
Wed Apr 16 15:55:32 CEST 2008

Hi Vlad and list,

see inline comments.

On mer, 2008-04-16 at 16:05 +0300, Vlad Lungu wrote:
> Luigi 'Comio' Mantellini wrote:
> > .. cut...
> >
> > The answer is pretty simple: the flash layout is a project
> > constraint :D. I know that this approach is very slow, but the target
> > application is a device that should be rebooted about once in a year.
> >

> Well, it all depends if you really mean loopback or if it is ramdisk.
> Loopback feels totally wrong unless the rootfs is read-only.

The rootfs will be Read-only. Any write access will be redirected to a
ramdisk. Only during the "upgrading" activity the JFFS2 will be write
from an custom user application, while during the normal activity both
JFFS2 and loopback-mounted Root filesystem will be Read-only.

> Really.
> If it is ramdisk, I guess you could store uImages directly in the NOR
> flash (one at the beginning, one at the end so you know you can
> easily replace any of them, or if you know that they are <9Mo, 3 of them
> equally spaced).

I cannot store the uImages in separated memory space...

> Anyway,  back to your original question: if the flash devices are
> identical and the erase sectors have the same size, you could probably
>  fill flash_info[] yourself instead of auto-detecting and pretend you
> have a single flash twice the size (i.e. 32Mo). After all, this is NOR
> flash so you're not  actually using sector numbers like with NAND parts.
> And the addresses are consecutive, so for all intents and purposes,
> it looks like a big flash until you do READ_ID.

Ok. This can be a solution.

thanks

luigi

--