[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot WinCE booting support?

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Sat Apr 19 00:35:52 CEST 2008

On Thursday, February 07, 2008 09:59, Stefan Roese wrote:

> I'm wondering what may be needed to boot WinCE (6.0) images
> from U-Boot.
> Searching the web leads to some pages that mention booting
> WinCE is possible.
> But my understanding is that some additional patches are
> necessary and the
> official U-Boot doesn't support this currently.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this? Any hints appreciated.

It is my understanding that:

MS Windows CE (6.0) typically starts with the assumption that
Eboot has setup the MMU for it.  To fix this problem, the MMU code
could be moved from Eboot to the early OEM code in the CE kernel.

The NK.nb0 raw file would be easier to boot (than the proprietary
NK.bin file) via U-Boot.  In my experience, the NK.nb0 file is not
much larger than the NK.bin, though that can vary greatly,
especially if the kernel contains a lot of empty space.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs