[U-Boot-Users] ubi and u-boot

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Apr 21 03:05:21 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:04:14PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> I was thinking this:
>
> Hamish Moffatt wrote (Message-ID: <20080407073227.GA6317 at cloud.net.au>):
> > Sorry I should've said 512MiB perhaps: 512 megabytes.
> > UBI attach time appears to be about 6 seconds.
>
> If 6 seconds is as fast as it can be done, annoying but fair enough.
>
> Adding _another_ 6 seconds to the boot time seems a lot to me.

Yes. I have a prototype system here booting a minimal system from NOR
flash then booting the full system from NAND via kexec. I'm suffering
my 6 seconds of UBI attach time twice each boot.

Six seconds does seem to be abnormal though - I don't have a hardware
NAND controller so it's all software ECC, GPIO for chip selects etc. The
performance is said to be much better with a hardware controller.

> To remove the double scan:
>
> > > However, if there was a protocol for bootloader to pass the scan
> > > results to the booted kernel, that would be very nice.

That would certainly help my case. Fortunately my device is usually
always-on and therefore boot time is not critical, and we don't
suspend/resume.

Hamish