[U-Boot-Users] Question about smc911x driver (16/32 Bit support)

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:03:07 CEST 2008

Hi Jens,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Jens Gehrlein <sew_s at tqs.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  in the source code there is a preprocessor directive
>  #error "SMC911X: Only 32-bit bus is supported".
>
>  We use a LAN9215i, which has a 16 Bit data interface only, connected to
>  an i.MX31.
>
>  The LAN9215 is in the driver's ID list.
>
>  According to the data sheet accesses have to be 2x16 Bit to build the
>  device's internal 32 Bit format.
>
>  What does this non-32-Bit exclusion exactly mean?
>  Will the driver work on our HW configuration?

This #error message was included, because if you look at the code
you'll see that the read/write accessors are 32-bit operations *(u32 *
).  These may or may not work on your configuration.  It should be
trivial to write accessors for a 16-bit bus, but nobody had hardware
to try it out on.  Please do so and submit a patch.

>  Confused,
>  Jens

regards,
Ben