[U-Boot-Users] pci memory booting on ppc460

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Apr 23 10:26:51 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, David Hawkins wrote:
> So, its not impossible, but it does seem like more work than
> using Flash to boot the board.

Full ACK from me. I would always recommend to use a small NOR FLASH with a
full-blown U-Boot for booting from NOR with full DDR2 setup etc. All this
will be hard to implement with all the restrictions for booting from PCI
(even though I have never done this before, but I suspect that it will be
quite as limited as booting from NAND).

> But of course there may be
> reasons to want to boot over PCI ...

Yes, what is the main reason you want to do this? As mentioned above, I
recommend to boot from a small NOR FLASH (512kB) and "wait" in U-Boot for the
PCI host to provide the OS/application image via PCI.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de