[U-Boot-Users] PPC440EPx/sequoia TLB question...

Dave Littell littelld at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 04:27:27 CEST 2008

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Dave Littell wrote:
>> >From …/board/amcc/sequoia/init.S:
>>
>> /* TLB-entry for Internal Registers & OCM */
>> tlbentry( 0xe0000000, SZ_16M, 0xe0000000, 0, AC_R|AC_W|AC_X|SA_I )
>>
>> Why is this memory region not marked Guarded?  It would seem to meet the
>> definition of “non-well-behaved”.
>
> Why do you think this is the case?

Hi again, Stefan!

Well, there's registers in that address space, not unlike other
registers in other TLB entries (PCI, BCSR, etc.) that are marked
Guarded.  I would think the same rationale would apply to the internal
registers.

I need to go back and check the register settings for speculative
accesses.  I seem to remember that there's a 440EPx Errata (actually,
more than one) that has a workaround that turns off speculative
instruction fetches.  Data speculative accesses may have gotten squashed
in there as well, so it wouldn't matter what the TLB said if that's the
case.

>> Also the TLB entry for SDRAM marks it Guarded, but that’s one area I
>> would think wouldn't need to be Guarded.
>
> This could be a mistake. Should work without G bis set too. Please give it a
> try and send a patch to fix it, if it works fine.

Hard to define "works fine" - this is the same 440EPx platform I'm
asking about over in the embedded Linux mailing list.  I'm pretty sure
the kernel doesn't flag SDRAM as Guarded, but I'll give it a try to see
how it goes.

Thanks,
Dave