[U-Boot-Users] pci memory booting on ppc460

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 24 17:53:53 CEST 2008

Hi Stefan,

>> Here's a few ideas then.

Sorry, all of the ideas were based on the MPC8349EA,
which I am currently using. I did not look at the
ppc460 documents, as I was just putting ideas 'out there'.

When the MPC8349EA is booted, you can enable the peripherals
while leaving the core in reset. The IMMRs are memory mapped
to PCI via a 1MB BAR, and there are several other BARs
setup to have 1MB windows. The IMMR registers can be accessed
to setup the memory map of the target processor, and setup
the inbound translation windows. I've been using this
technique to check out all of my hardware, and DMA over
PCI, DDR, and local buses.

Given that you don't think any of my suggestions are
possible, I'll have to go download the ppc460 reference
manual and convince myself :)

Ame, feel free to chime in if you think any of the ideas
are possible.

Cheers,
Dave