[U-Boot-Users] FW: USB SUPPORT & get_vfatname

michael trimarchi at gandalf.sssup.it
Fri Apr 25 17:45:22 CEST 2008

Hi,
Ken.Fuchs at bench.com wrote:
> Michael Trimarchi wrote:
>

>> confirm that the problem is in fat.c file and I will try to fix.
>>

> It has been confirmed that fatls does _not_ list
> all files on FAT32 filesystems.
>
> There are _no_ reports of fatls failing to list
> all files on FAT16 filesystems.  (There may be
> an unrelated bug caused by all 512 directory
> entries of FAT16 being used.)
>
> What additional information is needed to confirm
> that the problem is in fat.c?

The problem is related to how fat.c manage the root directory. As
reported by
microsoft
in "FAT32, the root directory can be of variable size and is a cluster
chain, just like any other directory is.
The first cluster of the root directory on a FAT32 volume is stored in
BPB_RootClus. Unlike other directories,
the root directory itself on any FAT type does not have any date or time
stamps, does not have a file name
(other than the implied file name “\”), and does not contain “.” and
“..” files as the first two directory entries in the directory.
The only other special aspect of the root directory is that it is the
only directory on the FAT volume for
which it is valid to have a file that has only the ATTR_VOLUME_ID
attribute bit set (see below)."
> What is your response to the debug log you requested?
> It was sent to the ml almost 18 hours ago and is
> also quoted below.

In my spare time a try to change the do_fat_read to support the chaining.

Regards Michael