[U-Boot-Users] Memory Size issue @ MPC83xx

André Schwarz Andre.Schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Wed Apr 30 19:08:05 CEST 2008

All,

my MPC8343 based system is running fine, but I'm not able to use more
than 256MB of memory.

Is this a general or known issue ?

I'm not quite sure where the problem is since u-boot *seems* to be
running fine.

Situation :

- 2 Micron 16-Bit (2 GBits each) chips soldered down on the board giving
512MByte total.
- Connected to CS0 @ 32-Bit memory bus.
- memory size defined and recognized correctly
- set up CS0_BNDS for 512MB
- set up BAT0 + BAT7 for mapping (a single BAT is limited to 256MB).
- configure cpu to use high BATs by setting HBE bit in CFG_HID2.
- dtb memory size set up correctly and "mtest" works all day from 16M to
500M ....

Booting a 2.6.25 kernel crashes during dtb parsing.
Limiting memory size to 256MB and skipping BAT7 gives a running system.

At first glance this looks like a topic for the linuxppc list.
But it *could* also be a u-boot related issue ...

Any help is welcome !

regards,
André Schwarz

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner