[U-Boot-Users] RFC: mailing list transfer

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 1 17:17:49 CEST 2008

Hello,

I would like to get your general opinion about moving the
"u-boot-users" mailing list away from SourceForge and host it on
lists.denx.de instead.

There is a couple of reasons for this: SourceForge has freuently been
slow; there have been reports from many users  who  got  unsubscribed
repeatedly  for  no  clear  reason; the mailing list archive at SF is
painful to use; and, most of all, we have only limited ways to change
the configuration, and with any other request we depend on the  mercy
of SF support, which is, ummm, sloooow.

Another reason is that this would make it easier for us to cross-link
between messages on the mailing list and entries in the upcoming  bug
and patch tracking system.

If we have a majority agreeing with this change, I suggest to proceed
as follows:

* The mailing list archive will be transferred from SF to DENX
* The archive services (gmane etc.) will be notified about the change
* All currently subscribed users and their settings will be
  transferred from SF to DENX
* After a cut-off date, all users are requested to use the new ML only
  [that will be the complicated part].
* The ML at SF will be set to read-only to make clear it is no longer
* in use.

Do you think this is a reasonable plan? Any hints, ideas, tips?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.