[U-Boot-Users] RFC: U-Boot version numbering

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 1 20:45:16 CEST 2008

In message <48932F41.6020605 at free.fr> you wrote:

> A minor :) issue I can see is that there might be *some* confusion
> because of an apparent, numerical rollback from 1.3.4 back to 1.08.xx.
> You're bound to encounter some folks who will ask, again and again, why
> you're  working on 1.02.yy when 1.3.4 is out there.

Good point. I have to admit that I was reading "1.08.xx" same as
1.8.xx; the leading 8 is just there to make sure that 1.08.xx sorts
before 1.10.xx.

> Now an obvious solution would be to use 2 as the major number. If you're
> serious about not knowing when a major number bump-up is required, then
> you should be fairly ok with starting at 2.08.01 rather than 1.08.01. :)

Well, the "version 2" prefix is kind of already taken by Sascha Hauers
alternative implementation.

Should we go for 2.x.x anyway?

> Another, maybe trickier, issue is: you won't be able to cleanly number
> interim releases if you encounter a really serious bug right after
> you've produced this month's release, will you?

Well, we can always use EXTRAVERSION to add some additional name,  as
we do all the time for our -rc? prereleases.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I think it's a new feature. Don't tell anyone it was an accident. :-)
  -- Larry Wall on s/foo/bar/eieio in <10911 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>