[U-Boot-Users] Need Some Help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 1 20:55:43 CEST 2008

In message <004a01c8f403$f1a4d590$d4ee80b0$@com> you wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but I have a few questions.
> The first is can U-boot load any application other than a Linux.

Of course it can. If you had read the manual, you should  have  found
the  section about standalone applications. And of course it can boot
a couple of other operating systems as  well,  which,  from  U-Boot's
point of view, are just different applications.

> I simply want to use u-boot as a boot loader, to load a non-Linux app into
> memory and jump to that app with or without uboot's hardware init. The

If you want to avoid U-Boot's hardware init, then run your application
on the raw hardware without U-Boot. But be prepared that then you have
to reinvent all the needed hardware init steps yourself.

> second wuestion is where can I get some help in doing just that, if it's
> possible? I don't want to have to build and cross-compile my app in Linux in
> order for u-boot to load it. Third, if I have to compile my app in Linux,
> can I simply use mkimage with the hello world binary and do a bootm from
> that?

May I suggest that you just read the related sections in the  manual?
It  comes  with  a couple of examples which show exactly what you are
asking for.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If programming was easy, they wouldn't need something as  complicated
as a human being to do it, now would they?
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_