[U-Boot-Users] using a flat device tree to drive u-boot config

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Aug 3 17:47:02 CEST 2008

In message <9e4733910808030557t269eb1fye375d66f8bb7f200 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > No, no, no. The DTB *must not* be included with the U-Boot image.  It
> >  shall  always  be  kept  separate  so we canupdate it independently -
> >  otherwise you lose a lot of advantages.
>
> A DTB is only about 8K. I was thinking that a user supplied one would
> override the one contained inside uboot.

Then you have to take special care  that  the  DTB  is  flash  sector
aligned  and sufficiently padded - this extra effort and introduces a
new, avoidable single point of failure. If the  DTB  can  be  at  any
flash location, you can for example have a fall-back version which is
used  to bring up U-Boot in a minimal configuration for recovery mode
if the new DTB fails to work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy