[U-Boot-Users] Increasing U-Boot partition size

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 4 22:44:07 CEST 2008

> Arrr, my insanity.  Wolfgang is correct, of course.

Gee, and I was just going to ask why on earth you liked
high-boot :)

I've seen one novel use of high-boot that could make it
useful if you're lazy and can't be bothered plugging in
your debugger ;)

Assuming your board has a toggle switch that sets the
state of BMS in the RCW (as most Freescale boards do),
you can put a 'good' version of U-Boot at say the
high-boot location, and the test version at the low-boot.
If the low-boot version doesn't boot, power-down, flip the
BMS toggle switch, power-up and boot-high, reflash to
the next low-boot test version, and continue.

I personally haven't tried the trick, but it sounded
like a nice idea.

Low-boot is the only sane method for booting, since
high-boot sticks the bootloader 8MB into your 32MB/64MB/etc
Flash ... I mean who uses 8MB Flash these days ... :)

Cheers,
Dave