[U-Boot-Users] simplify bootm command

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 5 13:05:11 CEST 2008

In message <48982DAD.2060408 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> That would be REALLY cool!  It would take some initial work, but the
> reward would be really simple and transparent expandability for the
> command set.  As with the "bootm" command, we might end up with simpler
> code (I don't think too many commands are as bad as bootm, however).

:-)

> One minor flaw, I don't see how "bootm" the env script could run "bootm"
> the built-in command, because it would instead recursively run "bootm"
> the env script if scripts have higher priority and the command line
> "bootm" would run the built-in "bootm" if scripts have lower priority.

That's why I think we should have an explicit "builtin" command, i. e.
command with the name "builtin" that will always run the corresponding
builtin command, no if there is a "command alias" or not - similar to
the bash command:

       builtin shell-builtin [arguments]
              Execute the specified shell builtin, passing it
              arguments, and return its exit status. This is useful
              when defining a function whose name is the same as a
              shell builtin, retaining the functionality of the
              builtin within the function. The cd builtin is commonly
              redefined this way. The return status is false if
              shell-builtin is not a shell builtin command.

> The way I see it, env scripts should have higher priority than built-in
> commands and would supercede the built-in.  Hmm, one possible way out of
> the dilemma would be to support quoting built-in commands to force them,
> rather than the env script: `bootm` would be the built-in command (just
> as a concept, I don't know how back-tick quoting would conflict with
> existing hush parsing).

I don't like to use quoting (of  any  kind)  for  this  because  this
already  has  certain  meaning in the shell. Also, this would be more
effort to implement that the "builtin" command I suggested.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force.
	-- Amanda, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.3