[U-Boot-Users] simplify bootm command

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Aug 5 14:15:10 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> One minor flaw, I don't see how "bootm" the env script could run "bootm"
>> the built-in command, because it would instead recursively run "bootm"
>> the env script if scripts have higher priority and the command line
>> "bootm" would run the built-in "bootm" if scripts have lower priority.
>
> That's why I think we should have an explicit "builtin" command, i. e.
> command with the name "builtin" that will always run the corresponding
> builtin command, no if there is a "command alias" or not - similar to
> the bash command:

Ahh, I missed the point that "builtin" was a command, not a concept.
Yes, that solves the dilemma neatly.

WRT Albert's comment:
> ... and make sure that one can *never* define an environment variable
> called 'builtin', and even remove any such definition if found in the
> environment when reading it from persistent memory at boot.

...another way of handling this would be to special-case the "builtin"
command so that it takes precedence over a "builtin" env variable (i.e.
ignore an env variable named "builtin").  I'm not wild about
auto-deleting env variables.

Best regards,
gvb