[U-Boot-Users] 85xx: Not enough room for program headers

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 7 15:21:17 CEST 2008

In message <E704DFB0-1AE6-4FC6-817E-585ED4EC9EA9 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> > ./MAKEALL MPC8555CDS
> > Configuring for MPC8555CDS board...
> > ppc_85xx-ld: u-boot: warning: allocated section `.bss' not in segment
> >   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> > 194515   16028   26488  237031   39de7 ./u-boot
>
> Yeah it was the best I could do.. older binutils have some issue and
> figured a warning was better than it not functioning at all.

Hm... previous experience with ld has made me extremely suspicious
about ld warnings. They all turn into subtle, but nasty errors sooner
or later.

I think we should find a solution that does without such warnings.

If this is impossible in the remaining time (given the late state  in
the  release  cycle)  I think it is better to back out the patch that
causes the problem, and try to solve this wil less  pressure  in  the
next release.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Boykottiert Microsoft - Kauft Eure Fenster bei OBI!